- Job ID: F1093
- Department: Computational Biology
- Job Location: US-TN-Memphis
St. Jude is anticipating the need for several Associate Software Engineers. The department of Computational Biology is seeking highly motivated and creative Associate Software Engineers to develop software used in big data bioinformatics analysis as part of a team of scientists and engineers at the forefront of genomic research into catastrophic childhood diseases. Positions are available in the following focus areas:
- Developing web applications in the St. Jude Cloud project.Primary responsibilities will be designing and developing bioinformatics-related web applications in St. Jude Cloud (https://www.stjude.cloud). Knowledge of at least one of the following middleware technologies is required: NodeJS (leveraging Express, Koa, or comparable), Ruby (leveraging Ruby on Rails or Sinatra), or PHP (leveraging Laravel). Knowledge of at least one of the following frontend frameworks is required: React, Vue, or Angular. Knowledge of Linux, Bash/Zsh, and Git are preferred. Knowledge of containerization (Docker), database technologies (PostgreSQL, MySQL), common software product design processes (Agile/SCRUM), and common cloud computing paradigms is preferred.
- Developing internal web applications to support clinical genomics operations. Primary responsibilities include understanding the needs of scientists and clinicians who review and report clinical genomics results and resolving those needs with web-based interfaces that help to advance their work. Facility with modern web application architecture is a key factor to success. We use PHP Laravel, Vue.js, and PostgreSQL for development. Experience with these technologies, or experience with similar technologies and a willingness to learn, is required. Individuals with a desire to make the work of clinical users easier and who are interested in maintaining and applying broad knowledge of modern web application technologies are encouraged to apply.
- Developing and maintaining HPC Bioinformatics automation systems. Primary responsibilities will be managing large scale Bioinformatics pipelines run with on premise HPC cluster along with development and improvement of automation tools for high throughput analyses. Knowledge of Linux, Bash, Git, Python, and at least one of the following is preferred: Perl, C / C++, CWL, WDL. Previous experience with HPC, knowledge of containerization including Docker and Singularity, and common software product design processes (Agile / SCRUM) are preferred.
- Developing and maintaining data stores for our clinical genomics data. Primary responsibilities include learning and applying the semantics of our data to code extensions to our data store infrastructure, proactively discovering and resolving data errors, and enhancing processes to ensure complete and accurate data capture. This person plays a critical role in accelerating data delivery to scientists and clinicians. Main tools used are databases, SQL, and Python. Analytical thinkers with training in mathematics, logic, statistics, or a related area are encouraged to apply.
All positions listed will require working within a team of software developers to develop software, write and maintain documentation relevant to the position’s scope of work, write and maintain unit tests for software, and assist in preparing and submitting manuscripts. When applying, please include areas of specific interest in cover letter and a portfolio of any school projects or work samples you can provide in your resume. You can upload your cover letter with your resume as the first page of your resume.
Recognized as a world leader in mapping the genetic landscape of pediatric cancers, the St. Jude department of Computational Biology has developed state-of-art computational infrastructure, well-established analytical pipelines, and deep genomic analysis expertise with a track record of high-impact publications in top-tier biomedical journals such as Nature, NEJM, JAMA, Nature Genetics, and Nature Methods. The department provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from faculty scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management, and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects. This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, physical science, or related field required.\
Master’s degree is preferred.
Please make sure to list experience in any of the following below on your cover letter and resume.
Linux experience is required.
Database development and SQL experience is preferred.
Familiarity with statistical analysis methods and languages such as R is preferred.
Experience in a research or academic setting preferred.
Experience in on or more of the following is strongly preferred Ruby on Rails, PHP Laravel, React.js, Node.js, Vue.js, GIT, Bash, Angular, Perl, C++, Python, and Docker.
St. Jude is an Equal Opportunity Employer
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.